Re: [orca-list] Debian 8 'Jessie' released

Hello,

David has said it all.  The net install is my preferred method and it is
totally accessible to someone who can see absolutely nothing, like me.

One step which may trip up the unsuspecting or inexperienced is the
selection of packages at the end.

You are given a list of what to install and asked to make a selection.
Your selection needs to be a space-separated list.  To get the Mate
desktop the selection line would look like this:

1 6 9 10 11

1 is for any desktop at all, 6 for Mate, 9 for a printer server, 10 for
the SSH server and 11 for general utilities.

There are also numbered choices for web server (Apache) and database
server (Mariadb).

If you omit 1 or one of the specific desktop flavours you won't get a GUI.

I'm too biased to answer questions about what distro is better,
particularly where the question includes the word 'Ubuntu', because I'm
a stolid and staunch supporter of Debian.  I think a lot of Debian
derivatives are irrelevant.  And I don't like the way Ubuntu tries to
hold my hand too much and hide from me stuff it thinks I won't
understand.  Had enough of that with Windows.

Mike