Re: [orca-list] talking login managers

I am not using Debian, but I get Braille but no audio out of gdm3.  I
have speech-dispatcher as a system  wide only program.  When gnome
starts, it starts pulseaudio, and without  pulse, certain things go
silent, although orca still works.

Mike Ray <mike raspberryvi org> wrote:

Hello Kendal,

Just today I have successfully got Debian 7.6 Net Install going with
speech in both the desktop and the console.

It uses GDM3.  And I think the trick is that Debian creates a user
called Debian-gdm.  I had to add Debian-gdm to the pulse-access and
audio groups to make it work and also add my ordinary user to pulse-access.

When GDM3 starts it spawns speech-dispatcher

Now I have speech-dispatcher configured for alsa in both system and user
configs and despite this, pulse still starts but is not getting in the way.

I also deleted anything with 'pulse' in the name from /usr/share/alsa/*

Problem I suppose is that GDM3 i s bit heavy.  I will try the same
tricks with lightdm at some point.

Odd thing is that when I log in on GDM3, Orca says 'Goodbye' followed by
'Welcome to Orca' again.  Never seen that before.

Mike