A while back I posted in the list steps to compile orca in ubuntu using the sources stored in the repository of orca. This means that you'll get a development version and my suggestion is that you install the new version in a directory different than the /usr directory. In this way you can keep the original and stable orca in case of anything goes wrong.

I can resend the steps if necessary.
You need a relative new version of ubuntu to compile and install.

On 09/15/2014 12:33 PM, Glenn wrote:
Hi Thomas,
I have been using Ubuntu for years, and I did not know that it was called
gnome-orca.
And perhaps I have already built from source without knowing the
terminology.
I do many tasks from the CLI, like parted and fdisk and the like, and
installs, using bash or dpkg.
By building from source, do you mean downloading the latest Orca and doing
an install?
Thanks.
Glenn

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:53:35 -0400
From: Thomas Ward <thomasward1978 gmail com>
To: orca-list <orca-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] updating Orca

Hi Glenn,

Well, to start with the package name is gnome-orca not orca. It would
help to request the correct package name when trying to do an apt-get
install or upgrade.

Another thing to remember is a lot of times the repositories are out
of date. Meaning the stable build available on the Ubuntu repository
isn't necessarily the latest to begin with. If you truly want an up to
date version of Orca you have to build from source.

Cheers!