Re: [orca-list] Orca now has preliminary support for object mode / non-layout mode. Yes. Really.

This is great! Thanks Joanie!

My two cents on each of your questions:

...not treating a checkbox and its label as if they were on separate lines. (Or do you want those kept separate?)

I can get used to having them on the same or separate line, the important thing to me, as somebody else also said, is that I want to be able to just press spacebar without having to shift tab when I am on the line. So if having the checkbox on its own line is necessary for this, I vote for that.

* What should Orca do when there is punctuation and whitespace in
  between two links? Are those three "lines" or just two?

I vote for two lines in that case.

1. Do we need both a GUI option and a command to toggle it, or just
   one or the other?

I believe we need both.

2. If we need a command to toggle it, any suggestions for the bindings?
   Orca+L for Layout or Orca+O for object would be great -- and are
   available in Desktop Layout. But then Laptop Layout would need a
   different command. Suggestions very much welcome.

I suggest we avoid a key that will have to change when people switch to laptop mode. So many of us need to use laptops these days. I suggest something like Orca + Y as was suggested earlier.

3. Tell me honestly how important it is for the command and/or GUI
   option to ship as part of 3.14? Would it be sufficient if this is
   settable via orca-customizations.py for 3.14 and then all sorts of
   user-friendly-configurable in 3.16? The reason I ask is that I try
   really, really, really hard to not burden the localization team.
   Asking for a freeze break and for them to do additional work this
   close to the release strikes me as a burden. Plus even if I ask,
   they might still say "no."

I think this is a big deal, a major feature. I would ask. They can always say know and we would all understand.

Thanks,

Fernando