Re: [orca-list] How do you run speakup in fedora?

e it does, or if for some stupid reason they did not include it in a modified kernel it could be put in.
You can build espeakup from source after cloning from git.
You can also use speechd-up, and if he is running orca now, he may prefer to go this route.
A qurick google can give you the git url, has william inn it.
Stormdragon has a alt version forked, but a warning about both of these.
First the standard version will only work at a max of 450 wpm with out modificatin of one file.
Storm's has huge steps between rates so that it maintains the extremely slow rate at 0 rate option in
speakup, and goes at
close to 1000wpm at 9. I find the rate jump even in the stock package too large, but have not yet found where
to hack
things to create 20 or 50 rate steps instead of the 10 that exist. Storm's version has twice the step
increment plus a
bit.
I have made my personal espeakup so that it starts much faster at 0 than the standard version, 220WPM instead
of 80, and
can speak at a max rate of 675WPM with a step just a bit larger than the stock package.
So, if you need a moderately fast voice rate, something faster than 450wpm, you may want to hack the package
yourself.
This is not ann espeakup or speakup list, so I'll shutup here, but if you or your friend want or need a
special voice rate
range, e.g. it would be possible to make things work for a user who likes to listen at around 400 wpm, but
sometimes wants
to go a bit slower or faster, or most any rate between 0 and over 1100 wpm is possible. The choice is between
large jumps
between rates and a wide range between fastest and slowest, or haveing nice small rate changes, but a
relatiely tight
range between top speed and slowest.
The more I think about it I may stop trying to have speeds much slower and faster than I actually use
available in case I
want to work with someone else who can't understand my speech rate, or finds it a bit slow and tune things to
only cover
the rates I actually use so that I can have a finer grained control over the rate setting.
Speechd-up has the advantage that you can customize rate with the same file after installation that will also
give orca
it's top and bottom ends re rate, but if one is switching between orca and consoles with speakup
configuration is rather
harder, and I'd not have a clue re any fedora tricks required.
--
B.H.