Re: [orca-list] MATE notifications

I use Mate sometimes, and most panel applets, at least the ones I luse or want to use are accessible with
orca.
A couple of notes re panel applets/accessibility, and panels in general on arch.
I'm assuming we are talking about a distro, or distros that can use mate 1.8 packages.
First thing oone has to deal with is only being able to use 1 panel accessibly at a time, i.e. if you add
panels in my
experience only the last one added that contains working applets is seen by orca. This means it's best to put
all applets
on one panel for now.
Some applets do not show anything useful to orca until you press control f1, and how long this works may
vary, i.e. you
may be able to navigate around the panel to other applets and come back and still see what ever the applet is
displaying,
or even go to some app's window and come back to the applet. Other times you may have to press control f1 to
see anything
useful as soon as you navigate away and come back to the applet.
Some applets for programs written with QT don't work well if at all with orca. Skype is an example of a
problematic tray
icon. If you navigate to the skype applet whether skype is iconified or running in a maximized window you
probably get
silence once you get to skype's applet.. You can not navigate away from the skype icon either to see other
panel applets.
You can go to other places, including skype itself, your desktop or what ever, but to get panel accessibility
back you
must close skype.
I've had somewhat similar behavior for one or two other QT using applets, but have not done the systematic
testing that
needs to be done to get a good handle on this or explaiin things better.
Another thing to check if not already done is startup applications.
Make sure you don't have extra screensavers, polkit, etc. running. Mate does use some gnome packages or at
least can, but
you don't want two of the same thing running/fighting for control. You probably need to open up many of the
startup
programs' entries as if to edit them to see exactly which is which, e.g. if the polkit entry is for mate, or
some other
desktop.
If you've never run gnome, XFCE, Unity or similar then you should not need to worry about the startup
programs except for
making sure the things you need running are.
I probably forgot to say something you should know, but as I don't remember what I forgot, and you maybe
never knew it,
well...HTH
--
Burt