[orca-list] no speech

I am running vinux 4.0 installed to my disk. I have a network login on my workstatio. But when I log in as a network user, I don't get speech from orca. Symptoms:

1. I do get speech when logged in as the local user I created when I installed vinux.
2. I get sund when logged in as a network user.
3. Orca is running when I am logged in as a network user. I get braille. I can ssh to the machine and see the orca processes running. 4. There is a speech-dispatcher process running when I log in as a local user. 5. When I log in as a network user, that user does not have a speech-dispatcher process running.
6. Running spd-say as a network user does nothing.
7. Running spd-conf as a network user causes a python traceback.

I am guessing that when I log in as a network user, orca can't start speech-dispatcher. But why would that be? I made sur my network user was in all the same groups as the local user except the group created for the local user.