Re: [orca-list] Various questions about Orca and the linux world

Hi Vincenzo.
Welcome.
See some  comments in the body of your message.

On 10/13/2014 07:14 AM, Vincenzo Rubano wrote:
Hi all,

my name is Vincenzo and I am a blind Italian computer science student. Looking for various information about
linux, I came across this list and I decided to subscribe.

2. Searching for information, I came across two distros that claims to be designed with accessibility in
mind: Vinux and Sonar. Honestly, I noticed that these distros are popular only among blind users and could be
considered something like a custom product for blind people. Since I don’t like this philosophy, I was
wondering wether anyone had experience with “mainstream” linux distros and could recommend me what distro to
start with.
One advantage of this kind of distro is that a novice user can install without much problem, using an accessible installer. Since installed, the behavior of the distro is similar or equal to a normal distro. Since vinux is based in ubuntu and sonar is based in manjaro, you can try ubuntu or manjaro directly. Personally I use arch linux, although the installation is not very easy to a novice user.

4. In some pages on the Vinux website, I read that Orca works better with Speech dispatcher than with Gnome
speech (which is the default speech engine in Gnome, if I understood correctly). Can you confirm that? If so,
how hard switch from Gnome Speech to speech dispatcher is?
The gnome-speech wer discontinued.

5. From what I’ve understood, the most critical points to get an accessible GUI in a distro are the login
manager and the window manager. Do you have any recommendations about which ones to pick/avoid?
I use gdm.

6. Last but not least, do you know wether Orca works properly with gnome-terminal? If not, is there any
alternative to make it accessible for a blind user?
In general the accessibility is ok in gnome-terminal using orca. You need to use the flat review commands of orca to explorer the content of screen. I use gnome-terminal all the day without problems.

Thank you in advance for your help. Sorry for asking so much questions, but I’d like to make productive tests
instead of wasting time on something someone else already figured out. I do believe that putting together all
the information we have it could be even easier to communicate our issues with mainstream distro maintainers
and, maybe, get their interest in fixing them.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Vincenzo.