Re: [orca-list] unable to use programs as super user in ubuntu mate

Firstly, it's much better practice to use gksu or gksudo when working from the GUI even if sudo works.
In mate, XFCE and other non gnome shell desktops you need to do this to get speech after an app launches.
try gksu appname
and if you still do not get speech,
gksu -w appname
I make keyboard shortcuts to launch pcmanfm, gedit, and gparted with gksu, and depending on distro have
needed the -w switch for some of these, gparted
I think, or maybe running the nmap gui.
Regards,
--\
B.H.