[orca-list] automatic focus vs browse mode switching on expandable controls

Hello,
Today morning I have accidentally stumbled on a little thing which may help fine tuning automatic focus vs browse mode switching in orca. Unfortunatelly I don't yet have a proposal but up to now we have always assumed focusing expandable control on the web should trigger automatic switch to focus mode. This was inspired by the navigation in gmail for example and can also be seen for example on facebook.
Please go trough these two examples, if you can then add your own experiences and try to recommend what you think is better.

Example 1 Facebook

  1. Go to facebook.com and login if necessary.
  2. After logging in, move to the top of the page
  3. Press the tab key until you hear Sort options collapsed button focus mode and observe orca is now in focus mode.
  4. Press the enter key, you will hear something like expanded top stories. You can then move up and down using your arrow keys in the menu similar as you can move in the menu of a desktop style application. This is all fine and appears everything under the hood is contributing to a pleasant accessibility related experience.
  5. Now press the escape button to dismiss the menu, you will hear sort options collapsed button
  6. Realize you are still in the focus mode. Press orca+a to switch to browse mode
  7. Now press the enter key, you will hear expanded top stories focus mode. Receiving the same pleasant accessibility related experience.

Example 2 paypal

  1. Goto the paypal.com website
  2. Move to the top of the page by pressing ctrl+home
  3. Press the tab key several times until you hear buy collapsed button focus mode and realize orca is now in focus mode
  4. Press the enter key, you will hear expanded... And now what you are still in focus mode. It is obviously no longer possible to navigate using the arrow keys. Pressing the tab key will switch automatically to browse mode and then you can continue as normal using whatever method of navigation you like.

I posted these two examples only to ilustrate the scenario. And now questions.
Is it a good idea to reconsider switching to focus mode onfocusing expandable controls?
I am afraid this was added because I was requesting making a particular feature in the gmail app more accessible. However there are several good reasons I am reconsidering this my self eventhough it may break some edge cases
  • Now Paypal and Facebook both organizations have dedicated accessibility teams whose members are following developments on the emerging standards and technologies so I suspect these may be seen as a valid accessible use cases.
  • The way it is implemented currently may introduce a bit of confusion (see this José's email).

What do you think?
Is there something to add?

Greetings

Peter