Re: [orca-list] how to configure event sounds

hi
Event sounds depend on the sound theme you have. Ubuntu mate comes
with a good sound theme that has a few of those sounds, particularly
desktop-login, logout, bell for when you reach the end of the line,
etc/. To use it press alt+f1, go into preferences, and select sound.
There's an item called sound theme. In that list there are a list of
sound themes. Pick the one labeled 'ubuntu. Tab twice, and press space
to check the enable window and button sounds, then click ok. As to
your second question, it is possible to remove pulse audio from mate
and use only alsa, but I don't know how tightly integrated pulse audio
is in ubuntu itself. It also depends on ubuntu having the
mate-settings-daemon-gstreamer and mate-media-gstreamer packages,
which it may not. To enable the login sound to play at startup, go
into preferences, startup applications, click on add, and type the
following. 'play login sound' into the name box, you can type whatever
you want here. In the command box, type 'canberra-gtk-play -i
desktop-login. Put a comment if you want in the comment box, then
click ok. From now on, if you have a sound theme selected that has a
login sound, it will play. Mate does not support all sounds yet,
particularly hardware added and removed sound, but this is being fixed.

Thanks
Kendell clark