Re: [orca-list] Changing the keybindings to be JAWS-like or NVDA-like (was Re: In Search Of The Main Developers Of Orca)

I hope no one thinks I meant to bash NVDA, JAWS or any other screen reader. I agree that such bashing is counter productive, and I have too much respect for the programmers working on screen readers to ever participate in such bashing. I also find that a lot of misinformation is included in such bashing. Although I like the way Orca does some things, I don't' think it's perfect, and there are definitely features I like in both NVDA and JAWS.

Along that same line, I wouldn't encourage freezing out Freedom Scientific from any effort to collaborate on some common key bindings. FS may not participate, but they definitely won't participate if they aren't invited in the first place. FS has collaborated with Microsoft, GW Micro, Apple and others in the past on standards and protocols, so it isn't obvious to me that they wouldn't be interested in such a collaboration on common key bindings.

Since I don't think I ever accused anyone of proposing that Orca become an NVDA clone, I'm not sure I'm guilty of letting the perfect be the enemy of the good, although that does sound kind of cool. I just am not convinced that JAWS is the gold standard when it comes to usability, and I'm not sure that with other platforms becoming so popular with the blind, that it'll always be the case that JAWS is the screen reader most people will be familiar with when moving to Linux. I just wouldn't want this drive to standardization result in just settling for the lowest common denominator. As I said below, I wouldn't want to stifle anyone's creativity and prevent an even more intuitive screen reader interface from being developed. I'm all for commonality and collaboration, which I think I touched on below. This will require some effort though, on the part of all of the screen reader developers, as you mention, so I think if it's to happen on Orca, some people will have to step forward to help out. I'm not sure I'd make it my highest priority when it comes to Orca features though.