Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu 12.04 silence

Glenn <glennervin cableone net> wrote:
I tried running Orca with no sound.
Is there an issue with 12.04 and sound?

None reported on this list, but there have been issues with certain sound
cards that have their output volume set to 0 by default after the system
boots. This may be present in Ubuntu; I'm not sure which distributions have
fixed this or where the problem lies - presumably the kernel's Alsa drivers
for specific devices, which I would expect to be fixed fairly quickly when
bugs are reported.

If you don't have a braille display, the only accessible solution I can think
of is to boot a rescue disk such as GRML, run sshd, then log in via ssh from
another machine to run amixer and sort out any problems with the volume levels
of the sound card.

Trying a rescue disk would be helpful anyway to see whether it gives you
working audio.