Re: [orca-list] what computer for linux

Oh, it'll become a problem, all right.  going through UEFI situation
now with a brand new Asus machine with Windows 8 pre-installed.  In a
nutshell, here's what you have to do as far as I am able to make out:

1.  Get Windows 8 to start up in the uefi bios with holding the shift
button while you hit restart in the control panel's restart button in
power settings
2.  Holler for a sighted friend to come a-running and lend a hand with
what comes up.
3.  Have them hit troubleshoot and go in the advanced uefi settings.
4.  root around in there and pray to god they didn't make secure boot
locked on (mine did!)  Oh, and you have to have your friend really dig
for it and hope they don't hit something that makes the machine go
ca-boom in the process only to find it locked.  How NICE!
5.  Caper madly, rant and rail a bit to get things off your chest.
(Very important!)
6.  Hunt down csm compatibility settings and see what they do, if they
change things to legacy bios or let you, at last, shut secure boot
off.
7.  If this fails, you need to go grab a distro that supposedly works
well with secure boot, go back into the bios again and make sure it
can and will boot from the optical drive.  (Note, more rooting around
required until boot options are located.)

What comes next?  I don't know.  This is where I am right now.  Oh,
and sorry about the vagueness.  turns out each and every single bios
is different and there's not a standard interface and set of steps to
be had for love or money for miles and miles around.  Got to go now.
All this made me want to crack open a nice porter from the fridge.
Black butte (that's pronounced bute, mind, not what E-speak says) his
ime ... yum!

Alex M