Re: [orca-list] OT: A Christmas gift for Mutt-users and anyone willing to give Mutt a try

First things first, I had not tested enough with a couple of the extra keybindings implemented when I sent
out the link to the muttrc file this morning,
and there were two conflicts.
These are corrected now.
Be advised that to switch back to nano if you were using gedit to write email you now press control t e
instead of ce.
The signature position commands now use Capital aq and Bq.
The one problem with mutt is that they though of a lot of use cases, and bound most letters, and there
capitals as well, and often control and escape as
well, so there's not much left for us to use to add aditional functionality. Quite a few of the bindings are
for things that I'd never use, but others
might, so it'll take careful review to decide which if any of the default bindings can be unbound and
reassigned to more useful features.
Here are the missing bits I promised this morning, well, yesterday morning it would be now for me.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7478895/mutt_extras.tar.bz2
includes two files that need to go in to your ~/.mutt directory.
Make sure that sorta is executable.
chmod 755 path-to-sorta
once you've untarred/extracted the archive file downloaded from the url above.
It just puts your address aliases file in alphabetical order, handy sometimes when looking for an email
address to use somewhere other than mutt.
A lot more can be put in to the mail cap.
Use your /etc/mime.types file to see how different file extensions are categorized.
With the starter included you read html mail, .doc attachments, and make a copy of .docx attachments
converted to .txt in your ~/.mutt/tmpdir directory,
and can listen to or watch multimedia content from several popular file types using vlc.
Ubuntu already has a nice mailcap file by default I think, as do some other distros.
 Oh, you'll also need antiword, (in just about anyone's repos I think), docx2txt, and either elinks or lynx.
When you have a GUI open and your display exported you can use programs like libreoffice for opening
attachments as well as command line interface apps
like the ones I have in the starter mailcap.
Here's the url for the muttrc with updated keybindings.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7478895/muttrc
--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886