Re: [orca-list] could this be modded?

Windows 3.1, give me a break!
I wasn't interested in running that when it was the only windows in town...
As for the screenreaders in question, ASAP was, and I reckon still is a very good DOS screenreader. I became
very conflicted after grabbing one of their
demos, full featured only a short announcement every 15 minutes to remind you where you could buy, and that
did not interupt important goings on. I'd
already spent $400 on Vocal-eyes, which was also very good I must say, but I found myself using ASAP more and
had no more money to spend.
I moved away from internet access after a few months, and sadly someone lost all my floppies and the other
remnants of my DOS daze instead of safely
storing the stuff for me.
I wonder why the py.serial and com0com stuff still relies on python2.6, if much of anybody really cared you'd
think they'd at least have gotten this
working with 2.7; or is this a really old post you found somewhere?
What's the deal with vmware 4.0 also, 5 was fine on Linux as I recalled, does it not give good accessibility
on that microsoft OS?
I don't even know what a virtual bns server is.
 Never mind, fake blind-ghetto-ware!...lol
Sounds like it's mostly a question of finding the Linux answer to com0com and see about py-serial as well.
So, I guess the answer is, code and you shall receive, and actually this may just be a case of doing a bit of
research and configuration.
It's OT for here, so please do not shoot me for replying folks.
--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Josh k wrote:
Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 10:51:36AM -0500

hey could the following be modded please to work with linux?

hey i found it. I found it I found it! the ultimate ms-dos solution!
download and install the following google them... you have to google search
the following!
python 2.6 found at ftp.compuconference.com
pyserial
com0com

install them! oh and you'll also need an old copy of vmware player 4.0 get
it from filehippo or from the old vinux virtual edition. now follow these
directions pasted below. run the virtual bns server and let the command
prompt window open at all times when running the virtual machine! if you do
it right, you will hav windows3.1 and dos with window-eyes with windows3.1
and you will also have a a registered ASAP  screen reader and it is very
very responsive! asap and window-eyes for windows3.1 will talk using espeak!
and you will also get pc speaker beeps and boop sounds through your laptop
or desktop speakers or sound card. so go have fun and use a real live ms-dos
and windows 3.1 again! have fun!

What you'll need
*python 2.6
*com0com
*pyserial
*vmware player or workstation
How to set this up
1. install python 2.6, then pyserial and finally com0com
2. When you've installed com0com, go to its start menu group, and pick
setup.
3. the tree view should be set for virtual pare 0.
4. Enter COM8 in the first field, and COM9 in the second field, then press
space/enter on the apply button.
5. close the setup utility
Ok, the serial ports are now ready. Here is how you run the actual synth.
Go into a command prompt, then navigate where you've stored your "virtual
bns" folder. IE
cd C:\bns
If you get a prompt such as
C:\bns>
Then you're fine to actually launch the virtual braille n' speak. to do
that, assuming you've installed python in the default location, you enter
C:\python26\python emu.py com9
After a few seconds, you should hear eSpeak say "ready". just leave the
window open

Now, you can boot the virtual machine.  It has a copy of ASAP for dos
access. (to run that, type C: to make sure you're on the c drive, then enter
s.bat.)
It also has a copy of windows 3.1 with window-eyes 1.1. to run that, first
make sure that you don't have ASAP running, then just type in win. you
should hear a chime and speech should come on.