Re: [orca-list] some plans for improving general accessibility of the linux platform

hi
Tintin is a command line mud client. Storm has created a sound pack,
similar to mush z for windows, which works with alter aeon and a few
other muds. Tintin itself is completely accessible, being a terminal
program, but using orca in a terminal emulator has some issues. It
does not always announce new incoming text. I plan to, if I can get
some help from the orca community, add code to the sound pack to allow
orca to automatically speak new incoming text. The way mush on windows
does it is it speaks nearly all stuff coming in, which may be way too
spammy. I plan to make it configurable exactly what is and is not
announced, so you can get only the stuff you want, while ignoring the
rest. I know there's a method to make orca speak, something like
orca.speak, but I want it to speak using whatever rate, pitch, etc you
have set up. This is where I need help from the orca community. If I
can get that working, then I can just hook it up to tintin, and write
the options in tintin to configure what is and is not spoken. Oh, and
I spoke way too soon when I was mentioning songr this morning. If
anyone is interested, there's a gui to a program called plmaxe, called
pymaxe, that does the same things, but also allows you to specify what
format you want the music saved in. Ok, I've rambled enough, time for
more coffee. And when I was complaining about bugs sitting, I wasn't
talking about orca bugs, but bugs in applications where there's no
accessibility dev on hand.
Thanks
Kendell clark
Alex Midence wrote:
Not sure about what is causing the lack of replies to your emails,
but, one thing, I don't know what Tintin is. Can you go into detail
about that? I am certainly all for doing what can be done to
improve the overall excess ability of applications on this
platform. I wish more TLC was given to the KDE desktop. It is a
major desktop. It is on a par with Gnome. Well I am certainly glad
to know that mate is now accessible, I don't think everyone is
necessarily interested in a lightweight solution. I am subscribed
to the KDE accessibility list but I do not know how many other orca
users are.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 9, 2014, at 5:05 AM, kendell clark