Re: [orca-list] donations

I wish we could get enough donations to have a serious programmer to do some of the stuff that's maybe 2nd
priority, or
best if possible some tasks that Joane could deligate to save here time.
Anything less than a half time committment for several months seems not so ifficient as most folks would take
a bit of
time to not only familiarize themselves with the code, goals, and to a point the history, e.g.things that may
have not
worked so well that were tried. That's assuming obviouslly a good knowledge of Linux and at least some
knowledge of
accessibility standards, and the existing accessibility stack.
I think anything less than $10,000 would be poorlly spent assuming paying anything close to going rates for
good coders. I
do not know how many orca users would be willing to give enough to make a difference. Also itwould be hard to
get the word
to a lot of the users. Of course soome just plain could give little or nothing.
I think perhaps it is worth considering what is actually possible, including trying to get a handle on how
many people
would be willing to donate at least $10, and what if any specific goals they would be willing to support
economicallyl.
Ipersonally donate a bit to NPR, or atually usually to a station, but would try and find a bit for orca if we
could
actually make a notable difference in development, but the way things are for me it'd be $10 maybe twice a
year.
NVDA certainly must have more users than orca, and I know they did get a fair amount from end users when they
first
started pushiing for this a bit. I do not know what they are pulling in on average per month or year now.
I'd give any money that would possibly go to nvda to Orca for a couple years anyway, again, if we could make
a real
difference.