Re: [orca-list] Experimental focus versus browse mode committed to master

Hey Peter.

On 08/10/2014 05:52 AM, Peter Vágner wrote:
I've just noticed another little thing. By looking at the orca master
head I can see now we are never changing from focus mode to browse mode
automatically. It's either a result of various hard to understand
suggestions or just a little left over from testing.

It's not a little left over from testing. It's a deliberate change for
the following situation: If you are in focus mode in a form and then Tab
to something else like a checkbox, radio button, push button, or link,
should Orca switch you back to browse mode? I personally don't think so.
But if you do, then that should be discussed. And as a reminder (to
others, more than to you): This change is just for automatic toggling
back to browse mode; it doesn't prevent manual toggling.

Getting back to automatic toggling and your hack for tinkering: Look
immediately above the lines you comment out. There you'll find:

        if not state.contains(pyatspi.STATE_FOCUSED) \
           and not state.contains(pyatspi.STATE_SELECTED):
            return False

So if the object you move to is not focused or selected, Orca doesn't
reach the code you commented out. Instead, it returns False to "use
focus mode". In other words, the intent is not "never changing from
focus mode to browse mode"; instead the intent is "don't automatically
switch to browse mode unless you move to something which is not a widget
or link." Having said that, there are undoubtedly bugs in the
implementation. Having those reported (again concisely and with concrete
steps to reproduce) would be helpful.

Lastly, as you already pointed out, I'm headed to Toronto for the web
accessibility development meetup at Mozilla. As a result, some of the
immediate responsiveness you've witnessed from me the past few days will
likely decrease a bit. But know that I'll catch up on the discussion and
respond with questions, answers, and fixes each day.

Thanks again for all the input!
--joanie