Re: [orca-list] Experimental focus versus browse mode committed to master

Hello again,
And I apologise for double posting. I have found an issue. Previously I assumed you have tried to incorporate the behaviour we have tried to explain with Geoff regarding quick navigation so I haven't included it in my previous message.
Currently while tabbing around or pressing quick navigation keys auto focus mode feature kicks in. However while reading the page by pressing the arrow keys it does not kick in. If it's doable it should behave the same way no mather whether we are pressing quick navigation keys or arrow keys. If you wish to allow more customization later on it is questionable whether we can accept proposal to incorporate similar options like I have described can be seen in NVDA. The important bit on this is whether screen reader related features cause the focus to move or on a contrary browser features and web based app behaviour cause the focus to move. Of course additional point which has to be considered is say all. I guess while say all is in progress no switching should happen otherwise say all will get interupted by the focus changes.

If I am not verry clear I will try to explain in other words what I mean. Hopefully it makes sense and something can be done about it.

Ooops and while writing this message I did something I am unable to replicate again. It concerns that visivig editor found in the gmail app where I am writing this text. When I press letter e followed by orca+a in order to skip over entries and texts on the page until I will get into this  visivig editor. Now with the system focus in the gmail visivig editor with orca switched to focus mode I start typing. Once I'll press a navigation shortcut key for example the letter e I can no longer type into this field and orca switches it self into browse mode. I guess this needs to be tested further.

Big thanks once again

Greetings

Peter.

Hello,
In order to demonstrate we can already feel enough awesomeness in this update I am posting this message using the gmail interface.
Overal experience is now much more consistent. Usually even tbing to various aria buttons, toggle buttons and simiral controls already switches to focus mode making subsequent popup menus, dialogs and other stuff like this more natural to use.
I will test more throughly tomorow and during subsequent days. For example I need to try to understand what is the issue with list of conversations in gmail not switching to focus mode. All other places where I have tested it so far appear to work consistently enough depending on the web app in question. Of course we have to understand web apps are also not perfect on this.
Another issue which I need to understand so I will be able to decide whether this is an orca issue a firefox issue or an web site authoring issue is within the google search page. For example go to the google.com and notice the focus mode is automagically turned on because the page changes the focus to the edit field it self. Now type something into the browse mode and navigate before the text you just have typed by repeatedly pressing the left arrow key. All is well and you can manage that. Now arrow over the text you have just typed in the opposite direction by repeatedly pressing the right arrow key. Still all is fine you are able to successfully able to read the text. However keep pressing right arrow key when you are after the text you have just typed and examine what you are reading. You are arrowing over all the suggestions google came up with when you have typed the string in. Instead I expect to only read the entry's value when in browse mode. Also I should try to test this with previous versions in order to discover whether this is a new behaviour or not.
As I said I am verry happy about this movement and I'll try to give more feetback.

Thanks and greetings

Peter

Hey guys.

Based on the feedback received, I have just committed the following
changes to master:

* Orca will automatically switch between "focus mode" and "browse mode"

* Orca will announce "focus mode" or "browse mode" when it does this
  for you. It is currently at the end of the presentation of the new
  location. That way, if you know what the deal is (of course it is in
  focus mode now), you don't have to listen to Orca tell you. You can
  just keep browsing or interacting with the widget.

* The current keybinding is Orca + A. This will toggle between the two
  modes. I chose this because we needed something for you to test. And
  it was the only suggestion I saw proposed by y'all which didn't
  conflict with existing bindings or result in complaints from someone
  else. If y'all don't like Orca + A, propose something we all can live
  with or rebind it to something you can live with.

* All the non-perfomant and non-reliable logic about whether or not Orca
  should really control things is ripped out. Arrowing seems a bit more
  peppy to me now. I hope you find the same.

What I have not committed/done yet:
* Playing tones. That's a nice to have. We can add it later.
* Documentation. We don't know what the final feature will look like.
* Settings. Orca does it automatically. It's easy to toggle off.

What would be extremely helpful is testing from you to see what you all
think. What is totally broken, what must be changed, etc. In the
meantime, I'll see what I can do about the looping, etc.

Thanks!
--joanie