[orca-list] Alternative sound server

Hello,

Can anybody point me in the right direction for how to configure Orca to
use an alternative sound server to speech-dispatcher?

I have been trying for some months to get espeak and speech-dispatcher
going on the Raspberry Pi.  I have finally managed to get
speech-dispatcher to run with some stability and have reduced the size
of the audio queue and block size but the keyboard is still unresponsive
at times.  And although the audio is now solid, where it was stuttering
using espeakup, it occasionally causes a kernel oops because of a null
pointer passed to the kernel by the video-core hardware interface
process.

Today I discovered that I can use the OpenMAXIL library to write
directly to the video-core on the ARM chip.

I want to get something running which I can use as a much leaner
back-end for Orca so that I can finally get an accessible desktop
working.

Mike

--

Michael A. Ray
Analyst/programmer

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?:
http://www.raspberryvi.org/

"I keep six honest serving men, they taught me all I knew, their names
are what and why and when, and how and where and who" - Rudyard Kipling