Re: [orca-list] Setting up an accessible LXDE

Responding inline to this message from Cleverson Casarin Uliana:
# Hi Kyle, thanks for answering. Is there any general disadvantage in
# switching to PulseAudio? Is its setup straightforward in Arch?

There are still some sound cards that have trouble with Pulseaudio for
some reason. This trouble usually comes in the form of distortion or
crackling noises. However, this usually goes away fairly quickly, and
doesn't cause significant problems with most devices, especially newer
chips. To start using Pulseaudio, just run

sudo pacman -S pulseaudio

and be sure your speech-dispatcher is configured to use Pulseaudio,
which is usually the default. If it's not the default on your system,
you can run

spd-conf

and follow the spoken prompts to change it. You may need to restart Orca
and manually kill speech-dispatcher to make the changes take full
effect. Rebooting the system will do the same thing if you don't want to
risk getting lost without speech.

# I'll also follow the accessible LXDE progress.

One of us on the Sonar team will send out e-mails to
support accessiblefreedom org and a couple of other places likely
including the Orca list, when a release is available. LXDE is definitely
on the todo list, so keep your mail client open for the good news.

# P.S.: I cannot manage to send this message to the Orca List. The Yahoo
# server simply returns an error on possible abuse, so I'm sending
# straight to you using my GMail adress.

No problem. I'm responding inline and sending the message,including my
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--
"Kyle? ... She calls her cake, Kyle?"