From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Jonathan
Duddington
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 10:27 AM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Orca text-to-speech in a new language?

On 02 Oct, Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs igalia com> wrote:
On 10/02/2013 08:52 AM, Carsten Agger wrote:

The speech/loud-reading, however, is entirely based on the English
pronunciation and even pronounces the first purson plural pronoun
"vi" (approximately pronounced "vee", but with a short "ee") as
"roman six". Which means it's pretty useless.

I assume you are using the Danish synthesizer and not the English one?
If so, then that suggests that espeak's Danish voice needs some help.

The eSpeak Danish voice does pronounce the word "vi" correctly, so it sounds
as though you're using the eSpeak English voice, not the Danish voice.

Danish is a difficult language for speech synthesis, but Peter Bjarkov has
done a lot of work on the eSpeak Danish voice.  Try eSpeak 1.47 or later.
http://espeak.sourceforge.net/