[orca-list] Orca text-to-speech in a new language?

This may be an FAQ, but as yet I haven't found a straightforward answer
to this question on the wiki.

I'm delivering a system based on Ubuntu 12.04 to a large client here in
Denmark. Accesibility is important for our client (libraries), but the
only working text-to-speech application is an outdated proprietary
application called Adgang for Alle (http://adgangforalle.dk/). Their
Linux version is especially very outdated and only available in a 32 bit
version.

So I'm looking at the possibility of using Orca instead.

Orca's user interface is completely translated into Danish, and that is
good.

The speech/loud-reading, however, is entirely based on the English
pronunciation and even pronounces the first purson plural pronoun "vi"
(approximately pronounced "vee", but with a short "ee") as "roman six".
Which means it's pretty useless.

So one path worth taking might be to convince someone to make a decent
text reader in Danish to use with Orca.

How would I proceed to do that, and how much effort would it take?
What's the standard procedure for supplying high-quality loud-reading in
a new language?

Best,

Carsten Agger

Python Developer