Re: [orca-list] trying to use Orca full-time, have some questions

I think Vinux is more blind friendly than vanilla Ubuntu. First, Orca comes up talking on the live CD, so there's no need to know to push control+s or whatever the current hot key is. You also get Speakup working in your consoles. For the most part, accessible versions of the default applications are installed, such as Mangler, Pidgin, RhythmBox, Firefox, thunderbird and so on. You also get a wonderful support mailing list, a Mangler room, an IRC channel and a chance to Cry for Help (CFH), with applications like Mangler and IRSSI already configured to hook you up to these resources.

Note that it isn't hard to install these applications and configure them on stock Ubuntu, but the Vinux development team has taken the tedium out of having to do this for the advanced user and makes it easy for the novice user who may not know what to get or where to get it.

There are some drawbacks to Vinux. The focus is on stability, so Ubuntu 12.04 Long Term Support (LTS) distribution is used for vinux right now, which means you won't be running the latest and greatest Orca and accessibility stack.