Re: [orca-list] Video interceptor

Hi,

Thanks very much! Your URL to the article is absolutely what I was searching for. I have there exactly what I wanted: not so much technical, but enough to have a precise technical idea of the situation.

Thanks again!

Le 18/11/2013 19:10, Christopher Chaltain a écrit :
Window Eyes definitely uses, or at least use to use video interception. Here's a knowledge base article from GW Micro explaining it's use of video interception http://www.gwmicro.com/Support/Knowledge_Base/?kbnumber=GWKB1073

Note that Freedom Scientific, GW Micro, Microsoft and others worked on a driver chaining protocol used when multiple access technologies all wanted to tap into the video chain and insert their device drivers into the device driver stack. This allowed users to have both JAWS, Window Eyes and other magnification programs using video interception to coexist on the same machine. As above, this is also easy enough to find with Google if you want more information.

On 11/18/2013 09:08 AM, Alex Midence wrote:
As far as I know, Video Intercepter is only found in Jaws. I don't think Window Eyes and NVDA use it. I also don't think it's used in Linux since
Linux has at-spi which is far more comprehensive than MSAA. MSAA is
Microsoft Accessibility so, you will not find it in Linux at all and, even
in Windows it is being replaced by UIA because it is so out dated.

HTH,
Alex M

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of MENGUAL
Jean-Philippe
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2013 4:30 PM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: [orca-list] Video interceptor

Hi,

I have to do a talk soon about the screen readers, and I'll talk about ORCA,
of course. I wonder if someone can help me about a technical
point: video interceptor.
I'd like to know what's this and how it works (in the guidelines), to
compare with commercial screen readers such as Jaws for Windows. If I
understand, it's an utility which enables a screen reader to understand the
widgets that are not connected to the MSAA. Am I right? Could I be more
precise or more exact technically ? On Linux, could an equivalent exist or
is it excluded?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,