Re: [orca-list] The SayAll user experience

Good morning, Joannie,

Please see my comments inline and thank for asking about this:

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Joanmarie
Diggs
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 9:20 PM
To: Orca List
Subject: [orca-list] The SayAll user experience

Hey guys.

I was looking at the SayAll code today. Another case where we really need to
get rid of sad hacks, clean things up, eliminate bugs, make the user
experience consistent across scripts, etc., etc. But what the redone version
shall look like depends very heavily on what the desired user experience is,
so I'd like you all to give this some serious consideration. My initial
questions are:

1. The primary purpose of SayAll is:
   A. To present the exact same thing I would hear if I were manually
      arrowing through the document. I just hate those arrow keys.
I like heading, list and structural data because I do a ton of authoring.  I
don't just read websites and such although I certainly do quite a bit of
that.  My primary activity when on a computer though is writing and editing
so, structure is important to me.  To address the interruption resulting
from words like link, list, heading, ETC. we could use different voice
pitches/variants.  I've seen this imple"mented on other screen readers "and
it's very helpful to stil get all the info but none of the interruption.

   How strongly do you feel about your answer to question 1?
Very.  It's how I pay my bills.

2. The expected behavior of my braille display when using SayAll is:

   C. It's SayAll; not BrailleAll. As long as you update my display
      when SayAll is interrupted or completed, I'm happy.
I'm a braille user so, this is very relevant to me.  If I'm proof reading a
document such as a job aid or course material I've written or something like
that, I will listen to it in say all and, when I hear something out of
place, I interrupt it and start going over it using braille to find errors
and things so, making sure the braille updates where the speech left off is
important.

   How strongly do you feel about your answer to question 2?
Quite strongly.

   How often do you use a refreshable braille display with Orca?
Every chance I get.  I've been writing lots of stuff in Linux and saving it
to drop box and then converting it using windows software for official
purposes but, I like writing in Linux.

3. The thing I like most about Orca's current SayAll behavior is.
   (fill in the blank)

   How strongly do you feel about your answer to question 3?

4. The thing I like least about Orca's current SayAll behavior is.
   (fill in the blank)

   How strongly do you feel about your answer to question 4?

The last thing I'd like to ask you to keep in mind is, there's no free
lunch. I can think of use cases for all the choices above and more. But
accomplishing one might necessarily mean not being able to accomplish
another. And the goal is not to make Orca's SayAll do everything under the
sun, but do a merely-ok job of it; instead the goal is to identify the main
thing SayAll should do, and make it do a really good job at that specific
task.

Thanks in advance guys! While you ponder and discuss the above, I'll get
back to all the other refactoring and fixing I'm doing.

--joanie