Re: [orca-list] The SayAll user experience

Hello,
On 12.11.2013 04:19, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
1. The primary purpose of SayAll is:
    A. To present the exact same thing I would hear if I were manually
       arrowing through the document. I just hate those arrow keys.
Well I don't hate arrow keys but I feel say all is doing what the answer A describes on almost every know platform I am aware and I agree with that. There is one exception to this. With arrow keys I am most likelly moving by line and I wish say all to move by sentence where possible. For example while I am reading a news article or a wikipedia article I would like to hear that I am entering a table and most likelly I need to stop say all so I can review the table and concentrate my-self better. Als I would like to hear bulleted and numbered lists because it really makes sense to hear the material I am reading is well structured. If reading a presentation style material this may even be important. Similar if I am reading whatever article I would like to hear links because I know I need to go back and follow the link if I am interested in the subject it links to. I would also like to hear headings so I will have idea on which chapter I am reading for example while reading longer documents. By making the opposite i.e. dropping all formatting it will be counter productive and also it will be a pain to add individual formatting back as it will get requested. I am sure it will become requested as it becomes reduced to plain text say all.
    How strongly do you feel about your answer to question 1?
Huh, unfortunatelly it's too strong as you can see the comment above.

2. The expected behavior of my braille display when using SayAll is:
    C. It's SayAll; not BrailleAll. As long as you update my display
       when SayAll is interrupted or completed, I'm happy.
    D. Other (please explain in your answer)
Both these apply to me C because it's most logical as I understand the matter and D meaning I don't really care because I have never had an access to a braille display and I don't expect this to change in foreseable future.

3. The thing I like most about Orca's current SayAll behavior is.
    (fill in the blank)
I can't say really. It works so far and I am sometimes happily using it.
4. The thing I like least about Orca's current SayAll behavior is.
I think the performance should be improved and cursor tracking as well. For example while reading an email I have just composed after the say all is done the caret is positioned at the top or somewhere near the paragraph boundary where I have started the say all. Rarely it's at the bottom at the end of a message as I expect it to. Unfortunatelly I can't understand a logic behind this. This is with Thunderbird 17, Thunderbird 24 and Thunderbird 25.

I am sorry that my opinion differs from most the others which have been expressed so far.

Greetings

Peter