[orca-list] Installing ChromeVox [was "Re: Direct download link for firefox 24 for 64 bit ubuntu 13.4?"]

The following was posted to another list by someone else. Since this doesn't have much to do with Orca, I would suggest that this thread about ChromeVox be taken to another list. I didn't use these steps myself, since I've been using Chrome with ChromeVox for over a year now, and this method wasn't available when I used sighted assistance to get ChromeVox installed. It also used to be the case that Debian based distributions, such as Ubuntu, didn't include the native client support in Chromium, so ChromeVox wouldn't work. In that case, you could use Chrome as I'm doing and install it from Google's Chrome repository.

Here's the email from ~Kyle on the support list at accessiblefreedom.org. I included the footer from the original email so you can join that list if you want to and pick up this discussion on that list.

It is now possible to use the Chromium browser with the help of
ChromeVox on a Linux OS, and the installation, although it takes a
little command line work, is completely eyes-free.

First you will need a copy of the Chromium browser installed on your
machine. Depending on your distro, the package will either be called
chromium or chromium-browser. Once the package is installed, find out
where it installed the Chromium libraries. This is usually
/usr/lib/chromium or /usr/lib/chromium-browser, again depending on your
distro. You can use tab completion from inside a terminal to help you.
Now gain root access, either via su or sudo -i and run the following
commands. For the purposes of this message, I will assume that your
distro installed the libraries in /usr/lib/chromium-browser, since that
is where they would be installed in any Debian derived distro, as well
as most others. If this is not the case, i.e. if you run Arch Linux,
replace /usr/lib/chromium-browser by /usr/lib/chromium in the commands
below.

mkdir /usr/lib/chromium-browser/extensions
cd /usr/lib/chromium-browser/extensions
wget http://the-brannons.com/kgejglhpjiefppelpmljglcjbhoiplfn.json

Exit the root shell in your terminal and then open the Chromium browser.
You will hear the normal ChromeVox sounds, and eSpeak will begin
speaking. Congratulations! ChromeVox is now installed and running in
Chromium! The only thing left to do is to change the ChromeVox modifier
keys, as the default control+alt conflicts with GNOME desktop shortcuts.
This can be done by first killing Orca, pressing the insert key twice to
enable sticky mode, and then pressing o twice to open the ChromeVox
options window. Tab to the ChromeVox modifier key and then just press
and release the key combination you wish to use. I used alt+shift, as
it's easy to reach and the normal ChromeVox functions shouldn't
interfere with other keyboard shortcuts. Once the modifier has  been
changed, it is safe to close this options window, as the option has been
saved automatically. You may now restart Orca, and the only
functionality you will lose is the sticky mode. I have found that
turning off Orca's speech at this point allows for the best use of
ChromeVox without conflicts from Orca speech. A big thank you goes out
to Chris Brannon for making the json file available for download and
installation into Chromium, and for providing the initial installation
instructions to the chrome-axs Google group. I should note here that
this method of installation works in Google Chrome as well, but the
directory where the file should be copied is different, and since this
list deals specifically with freedom software, I am only providing
instructions for installing into the free Chromium browser here. If you
wish to use Google Chrome, which is mostly Chromium with a few dubious
Google ... ehem ... enhancements, only the extensions directory should
change. Everything else should remain the same.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/.