[orca-list] [slightly OT]: Please help, X starts and no keyboard

Hello everyone!
Yeah, so I've installed my new arch linux, which amlost works. But when I try to install orca (even with orca -t), I find, that it can't access an X display. So I start X (either by startx or trying to launch gdm) and I have no more keyboard and thus no more access to the system at all. I think, I had that problem before, but it's so long ago, that I can't remember, how to fix it. The net isn't a great help either. Just to be sure: I'm running X with fbdev as graphical backend, since neither nouveau nor envidia would do the trick. One segfaulted, the other complained loudly and just wouldn't start. On an aside: anyone an idea, how I can set my console (terminal as in ttyX) size? I've tried both adding vga=769 and video=640x480 to the kernel commandline. It seems, that video drivers like nouveau/nvidia but also fbdev ignore these settings. - Here help on teh net is mostly concerned with getting bigger terminals, so no complaints about such a situation. :-( I'm sorry for practically spamming the list, but I don't know, what to do or where to look further.
  Warmly yours
        Julien

http://juliencoder.de/nama/music.html