Re: [orca-list] Is Linux suitable for non-programmer/computer scientists?

On 03/17/2013 06:23 PM, Thomas Ward wrote:
Hi James,

If you want a graphical environment such as Gnome or Unity, which
is similar to the Microsoft Windows  user interface, Ubuntu 12.04
is one place to start
why? Is he doing a large deployment or something? What about... 12.10?
but is by no means the only option. There are some
customized distributions such as Sonar Linux that has updated
versions of Orca etc
If you want updated versions of orca use raring and the master branch.
Can't get any better than that.
 all ready to go. Just install Sonar and you have a fully
accessible fully up to date graphical user environment.
Yep... let's tell Canonical that their work of including Orca and a11y
tools on the live CDs is not appreciated and go recommend kangs
instead of fixing any issues that might exist! That's a wonderful way
to tell Canonical that their doing a great job with the Ubuntu a11y!

As far as the command line environment itself goes it all depends
on who you ask and what their own personal opinion on the subject
is. I think that a blind user can easily use Linux using a
graphical environment such as Gnome with little to no knowledge of
the command line.
You could if you wanted to, but personally I use a mix of both. Once,
I used a cli with espeakup on Arch Linux to do everything but web
browsing(where I used a minimal XFCE session), and now I use a full
Unity desktop and just open terminals for file management, android
debugging, etc. Oh, and of course, scripting.
 However, as with all things the more you know about using the
command line it will give you some more advanced skills to
reconfigure your system, some advanced skills for trouble shooting
problems if and when they arise, and of course some command line
apps are just flat out more accessible in some cases than their
graphical counterparts.
agreed
So while knowledge of the command line isn't strictly necessary it
would still be a big help to know in case you need it.

As to your question about programming etc you don't have to be a
programmer or computer scientist to run and use Linux. While
programmers such as myself are drawn to Linux because of the
availability of the source code, free programming tools, whatever
that doesn't exclude the average Joe and Jane using it as well.
Ubuntu 12.04, which I happen to be running, is very easy to install
and most of the common applications like Firefox, LibreOffice,
Totem Movie Player, etc are accessible and work out of the box. It
doesn't matter one way or another if I know how to program or not
because using Firefox for browsing the web or writing a report in
LibreOffice Writer would be the same for me as you.
It's definitely easier to use Linux for programming(I.E. Orca's "speak
indentation and justification" checkbox makes it lots easier to
program in python, etc).
But, like the "Linux is for third world countries" claim, you don't
have to be a programmer, be a nerd, or live in a third world country
to use Gnu/Linux.
Cheers!