Re: [orca-list] State of accessibility in GNOME/Others, from an absentee

Hi Jacob,

Well, regarding Gnome 3.6 I'd have to say I found my experience the
opposite of yours. I've tried Gnome 3.6 on both Sonar and Ubuntu, and
found it a fairly accessible desktop and end user experience. Perhaps
something isn't turned on or you were simply unfamiliar with the new
Gnome Shell environment, but I generally find Gnome accessible enough
for my day to day needs these days.

As far as Unity goes you didn't mention if you were using Unity 2D or
Unity 3D, and that does make a bit of a difference access wise. I will
say though I am quite happy with the access in Unity 2D running on
Ubuntu 12.4.2 stable, and am using Unity 2D as my default desktop
environment.

As far as other desktops to try or check out there is KDE 4.8 and KDE
5.0. Its not as accessible as Gnome or Unity yet, but with some
tweaking you can actually use KDE with Orca if you are up to doing
some testing for the KDE accessibility developers.

As far as Cinnomon and Mate I'd say for get it. Although, Mate was
based on the old Gnome 2.x desktop environment it seems the developers
haven't kept up with the groundwork laid for the Gnome 2.x
accessibility stack so you aren't really going to be able to run
something like Orca 3.6 or Orca 3.8 on a newly released Mate desktop
unless there is something recent I don't know about.

As far as TTS voices goes by far my favorite are the Cepstral Swift
voices Cepstral David, Callie, and Dianne. While they are sometimes a
bit choppy with Orca  they are probably the most human sounding you
are going to get at this point for Linux. The newly released 6.0
voices seem to be more responsive than the 5.x voices.

Interesting enough I have heard AT&T has a version of their Natural
Voices for Linux, but have never found out where to buy them, and even
if I did someone would have to write a extention for Speech Dispatcher
to use them with Orca.