Re: [orca-list] Misteries of low performance of Orca and distros

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 12:41:30AM EST, Thomas Ward wrote:
Alex, just a correction. NVDA is written almost purely in Python as is
Orca. Since NVDA is written in Python and is relatively responsive I
think Luke's on the right path in targeting the accessibility
infrastructure itself for the responce and lag issues with Orca. NVDA
primarily works by capturing Windows messages and events and
converting them to spoken output. Orca on the other hand has to go
through at-spi to find out what is going on with a certain app and we
get this hourglass design with the apps and desktop on one side and
Orca on the other with at-spi acting as the middleman. No doubt this
causes some lag because there is no way to easily poll events and
system messages like on Windows.

In fact, as I recall the first screen reader for Gnome, Gnopernicus,
wasn't all that responsive either and it was written in C. That said,
I have wondered how much of a performence boost we would get if
someone rewrote Orca in C or C++ and compiled native binaries for
Linux.

I think this would bring more benefits in memory usage moreso than performance and responsiveness. As for
DBus itself, I believe there is work ongoing to move the core parts of DBus into the kernel, which may also
give a big boost to responsiveness.

Luke