Re: [orca-list] VINUX-SUPPORT: RE: Ubuntu Unity Desktop to go to Mir and QT

I agree it's unfortunate that Luke is the only one working on Unity accessibility, but there is a big difference between Canonical and Apple or Google. Apple is the wealthiest company in the world. Google is also a large company and is also quite profitable. Apple and Google are already well established players in the mobile space. Neither the iPhone nor Android were accessible when they were first released. Canonical is a tiny company, less than 600 employees, and is still not profitable after being around for about eight years or so. It's still trying to break into the mobile market.

I'm not defending Canonical here. I too wish that they would invest more in accessibility development. I'm just pointing out that circumstances right now between Canonical and Apple/Google are quite a bit different. I think Canonical focus right now is to just get a viable product out into the market place. I'm sure that once that happens and it becomes successful, they'll invest more in accessibility, just as Apple and Google have. In some ways, this is analogous to Microsoft and Windows Phone. MS's priority right now is to become relevant in the mobile space. Once that happens then I think accessibility will move up higher on their priority queue.