Re: [orca-list] help with fedora 19 speech at login window

In case this hasn't been covered, a quick way to bring up an
accessible GDM login screen is:
1.
control-alt-tab three times.
2.
Press tab once.
3.
Down arrow four times, and press enter.
Notes:
The tab that you get to when you press tab one time after the third
down arrow will get you passed the clock and into the accessibility
menu.
Then, when arrowing down, you do need to give that first arrow about a
second or so to activate.
The menu will not, open instantly, so please do not go arrowing down
as wrappidly as you possibly can!
That is, of course, unless you wish to arrow down four times and hit
enter with no screen reader results!
Anyhow, this should work.
As to the Fedora installer:
It is quite accessible for the most part.
You just need to use Orca flat review, occasionally routing your mouse
pointer to a word on the screen like "automatic selection" before
issuing a left click.
Whatever you do, however, do not use tab.
Tab itself is unreliable as to what it reports, And is not, in sync
with Orca flat review while going through the installer.
It is, accessible, however.
A friend of mine and I have both done it.
He did itt on his netbook first.
Maybe he can comment on here just to backup what I've pointed out that
it is in fact quite accessible.
At first, you might think: "What, isn't this buggy:?" If you know how
to use Orca flat review well, it is not buggy at all.
It just takes some time getting used to it, as does Gnome-shell.
As for the Speech Dispatcher GDM workaround,
Open a terminal once you've installed Fedora.
Su to root with su -
Then type this:
pkill orca && pkill speech
Orca and all speech dispatcher processes (including most importantly,
that extra copy of GDM will die.
Then just reload orca by pressing the super key or alt-f2.
Note that the pkill orca && pkill speech is a workaround for now until
GDM fixes the bug in question for Fedora 20, or  in a package update.
I hope that for either case the bugs are resolved as I would like to
use Fedora myself full-time from the GUI without Speakup personally.
Until Speakup is out of the Linux kernel, I will not use it.
That's my opinion on what should be done at any rate.
I'm curious as to  how frequently  bugs are fixed in Fedora?
Meaning, will we be likely for example to see this GDM bug with the
zombie orca/Speech-Dispatcher copies if you enable an accessible logon
 screen resolved prior to the release of Fedora 20?
Or will we need to wait until the next Desktop LiveDVD release of
Fedora 20 itself.
Just curious if anybody has general experiences with using Fedora in
general maybe and might be able to answer that one. grin
I'd say that Fedora 19 is so far, super cool!
Also, if you change your Pulse Audio to your cards native sample rate
of say 48000HZ and  set the format from s16le to float32le, you'll be
abel to get even more response out of your system.
Take care folks!

--
Sincerely,

Keith