Re: [orca-list] How many people us voxin?

By the way, does the precompiled packetes of voxin (from oralux( work on arm achitekture  without problems?

-----UrsprÃngliche Nachricht-----
Gesendet: Dienstag, 08 Januar 2013 um 08:05:36 Uhr
Von: "Krishnakant Mane" <krmane gmail com>
An: "Alex Midence" <alex midence gmail com>
Betreff: Re: [orca-list] How many people us voxin?
On 01/08/2013 12:02 PM, Alex Midence wrote:
I respect the free software movement. I think it serves a very necessary
purpose and the world would've been a much poorer place without it. I
use the stuff and am a willing participant in its communities sharing
what I have learned freely when I think it will help someone. I've even
written some documentation on it and would gladly do more if time and
circumstances permit. What I don't like is when its advocates dismiss
software out of hand due to its proprietary nature or imagine that just
because software is free, then it is intrinsically and inevitably better
than that which is not. That sort of

I beg to disagree.
It is true that we the free software advocates dismiss use of
proprietary  software just because it is not free.  But we have a very
strong reason to do so.
Here the issue is not about features, it is about the digital freedom.
It is about the direct advantage (cost being least for many like me, I
can buy software for sure ), that we find important.
Of course I must also mention here that free software always has a
potential to grow much higher.  browsers like Firefox, media players
like VLC, web servers like Apache are best examples.
We must understand here that FS movement started with this very purpose
and without forcing any one to do what we do, we strongly dismiss closed
non-free software for their practice of taking away user's freedom, to
initiate, propagate and request for advancement or development of a
software.  Or for the fact that programmers like me can't make the
software do what we want.
FS hackers always did what is best and took features from every where,
but always made it sure that community is free to agree or disagree.
Today I do face miner limitations on Ubuntu with Orca.  I have herd
people talking about a lot of features in closed software which could
have  made my life slightly better.  But I value my freedom and I think
what ever is missing will come into Orca by and by.
So the reasons for not liking proprietary software is not about quality
or features at all.
Again, one is free to do, say and beleive what they think is right.
It is just that we believe that software is an essential comodity and is
a representation of knowledge/ ideas, which should be free.
Let's make digital society a better place.
happy hacking.
Krishnakant.