Yes, since Android 4.0, screen reading is built into the OS, and you can
enable the screen reader with a simple gesture and no sighted assistance
is required.

On 22/02/13 12:54, Alex Midence wrote:
Pity you can't get to the google store with another browser.  I wonder if
Android still makes you go through nine kinds of grief without sighted
assistance to get their phones talking these days.  It should be possible to
download some sort of an executible that you run or drop into a folder to
get this to work.

Alex M

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of
Christopher Chaltain
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 11:14 AM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Chromium browser a11y

Well, I don't really think this is on topic for the Orca list. Also, the
steps are kind of high level and require sighted assistance, unless someone
else knows differently.

1) Install Google Chrome. Note that Chromium doesn't work with ChromeVox.
You can get the instructions on how to install Google Chrome from a site
like http://www.krizna.com/ubuntu/install-google-chrome-ubuntu-12-04/
where it says

We can install chrome from google official repository . first we need to add
the repository source to the update manager.
Step 1 > Set up key .
krizna leela:~$ wget -q -O -
https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -
Step 2 > Type this command exactly to add chrome repositories .
krizna leela:~$ sudo sh -c 'echo "deb
http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main" >>
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/google.list'
Step 3 > Now Update the package list .
krizna leela:~$ sudo apt-get update

Step 4 > Finally install google chrome
krizna leela:~$ sudo apt-get install google-chrome-stable

google chrome ubuntu 12.04

2) From within Google Chrome, go to the web store and install the ChromeVox
extension. Since you do this from within Chrome, and since Orca doesn't give
you access with Chrome, I'm not sure how to do this without sighted help.
Note that if you've done this on another system, you should be able to log
into Chrome and that set up on the other system will be reflected, but you
still need to log into Chrome without ChromeVox and without much help from
Orca.

3) Also from the web store, install a TTS, such as the default US female
TTS.

After you wait for this TTS to be downloaded, ChromeVox should just start
talking to you.

I don't think the Google TTS is coming to speech-dispatcher. I think it's
rather that ChromeVox now supports speech-dispatcher as a TTS option,
although I haven't done this myself.