Re: [orca-list] Helping orca

On 02/14/2013 02:36 PM, Jean-Philippe MENGUAL wrote:

So far I tested gnome 3.4 and I saw that the magnifier had less features than
with gnome2, typically there was not the cursor tracking. Has the situation
improved?

GNOME Shell's magnifier still lacks caret, focus, and selection
tracking. We were hoping to get that in time for 3.8 but it has not
occurred. There is an "example" tracker in the pyatspi git repo.

Otherwise, do you think we could submit some project about orca to Google Summer
of Code. I'm ready to coordinate the submission and the relationsh,p, but
would the orca team appreciate such help? I think we could apply one project
on some guidelines.

What's your opinion?

Given that we *still* do not have caret, focus, and selection tracking
for GNOME Shell's magnifier, what about doing that as Google Summer of
Code project? With magnification you don't need to know anything about
screen readers or braille like you do when contributing to Orca. So
solving the magnification problems seems like it would be an ideal
student project.

Take care.
--joanie