Re: [orca-list] Orca Running on Remote Servers

Do you use a braille display?  I wonder if vnc would transfer braille.

Alex M

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Bill
Dengler
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2013 12:58 PM
To: ljmaher swbell net
Cc: Orca List
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Orca Running on Remote Servers

I don't think VNC transfers audio.
If it did then technically it should be possible.
I don't think it does ; so do you know of an alternative?
Bill
On 02/10/2013 01:48 PM, Louis Maher wrote:
Folks,

My company uses Red Hat 5.7 on Massively Parallel computers.  A few of
the nodes of the cluster of processors are login nodes.  These login
nodes are used for code editing and job submission.

People in our company access the cluster through VNC (virtual network
computing) which provides a graphical user interface (GUI) window
running on Windows 7.

I access the cluster using the character-based SecureCRT windows
program which provides a SSH (secure shell) session into the cluster.
Once in the cluster, I use the Linux screen program to get as many
character- based windows as I want.  The character-based approach is
limited, and I do not have access to the GUI-based job setup and
queuing systems.  Often we write plug-ins to commercial software, and
that commercial software brings its own powerful and inaccessible GUIs.

Questions:

If I had a laptop running Linux, is there a way to place Orca on the
remote server and give me a GUI interface into the remote cluster?

Technically I could make my Linux laptop part of the cluster, but
would the job editing and job queuing programs need to be running on
my laptop before I could access them?

We have several domains, each with its own cluster.  If I wanted to
access these other domains, would I have to have a laptop specifically
dedicated to each domain?

Commercially available job-setup GUI's are extremely powerful for they
provide a means to connect several smaller plug-ins to make complex flows.
The output of the job scheduling GUI is an extremely complex XML file.
I can make small changes in this file, but writing one of these files
from scratch is not practical.

So my base question is:
If I had a laptop running Linux, is there a way to place Orca on the
remote server and give me a GUI interface into remote computers?

I will have to use Red Hat 5.7 for my effort.

Regards
Louis Maher
713-444-7838
ljmaher swbell net