Re: [orca-list] code review

Hi Johathan,
Thanks for starting this initiative to get more people on the project.
I will donate more of my time to orca and try and get people to help
out. I think that it is important to find people who are passionate
about coding which you cannot buy with money.

About gerrit , it is a code review tech from google. Basically it
allows people to post commits for review by others who vote on them.
Gerrit is also accessible :
quote from https://review.openstack.org/Documentation/dev-design.html """
Accessibility Considerations Whenever possible Gerrit displays raw
text rather than image icons, so screen readers should still be able
to provide useful information to blind persons accessing Gerrit sites.
Standard HTML hyperlinks are used rather than HTML div or span tags
with click listeners. This provides two benefits to the end-user. The
first benefit is that screen readers are optimized to locating
standard hyperlink anchors and presenting them to the end-user as a
navigation action. The second benefit is that users can use the open
in new tab/window feature of their browser whenever they choose. When
possible, Gerrit uses the ARIA properties on DOM widgets to provide
hints to screen readers.""""

back to refactoring : So I have now gotten qt and java basics running
in my new branch of orca. I have been working on lints and removing
all evals. I am thinking that it will be better and easier to make the
formatting object a set of real functions that people can work on.
So instead of a dict with mode, role some code to eval, we would have
a class for each mode with methods that are overridden. I have worked
on some basic code generation and we can migrate all the old code into
a new format.

This brings up my next point, new applications and scripting. We want
to be able to record and annotate scripts for users, so to automate a
set of tasks in some macro and make them available. I imagine that an
expert user could do some task with event recording turned on, and
using example data that is tagged in some way, then the a11n interface
would record all interactions and be able to save that for user in
some python code. Then the entire thing could be marked up in python
using intelligent comments or attributes so that they are easily
accessible.
This is not only for screen readers but for teaching applications.
Also for translation I think that the a11n interface and orca could be
used as a helper tool to help inspect language strings and feed them
to translation tools where users could interact.

So these are my ideas for orca and the team. Another thing I would
like to have is a debugging tool that displays the interactions and
allows them be be logged and reviewed. I am thinking that the speech
output or the braille output should also allowed to go into this
logging tool. Right now I am just running orca in full debug mode in
emacs, but it would be great to have an built in and onboard tool to
review the logs. This could be coupled with some way to annotate them
and go back to the macro system as discussed before.

When someone is using a program for the first time they should be able
to save the logs or share them on a web site, like the greasemonkey
tool. look for other people with similar logs and look for duplicates.
Also there should be tools for removing senistive data. I am thinking
also like the scraper wiki program. People can share and find scripts
and download them. Orca could be enhanced with team abilities like
that. Different access paths to programs could be documented with
audio clips or links to documentation to make them more
understandable.

We should also consider that people new to computers and older people
might benefit from orca and such a tool, Many times programs are way
too complex for them. An access tool can make it easier for new people
to use the program. The orca tool could also be turned into a simpler
graphical/textual/web based interface to existing gui based program.
I have been doing a lot of open office scripting in python for example
and can imagine that instead of the pyuno interface that the atk
interface might also be useable.

these are some of my ideas, looking forward to discussing with you.

mike