Re: [orca-list] Process for setting up Gnome and Orca on ArchLinux

Before you start, be sure you are running the latest Arch base.

sudo pacman -Syu

There have been some changes to the base system that could negatively impact your experience if you don't have the latest packages. Install xorg, gnome and gnome-extra as usual. As of the time I write this, you will get a fully functional GNOME 3.6. Now enter

sudo systemctl enable gdm.service

This will enable the gdm display manager at boot time. You can also type

sudo systemctl start gdm

to make the display manager start without rebooting the system. Note that

sudo systemctl enable gdm.service

will make gdm start on every boot, and you will need to press alt-control-f2 to get to a text console. If this is not what you need, you should still be able to use startx, but the last time I tried that, it required some rather extensive configuration that I didn't need with gdm.

Once you get GNOME completely installed, you can still press alt-f2 and run Orca as you always did. Once you have Orca running, press alt-control-tab. You should hear it say "top bar pushbutton." Tab or arrow to the accessibility menu and check the screen reader option. From then on, Orca should start automatically as soon as you login.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk