Re: [orca-list] about linux

Hi Minar,

Yes, there are a few Linux distributions that can be totally installed
from scratch without sighted help. For example, Ubuntu, Vinux, Sonar
Linux, etc.  In fact, I just installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu 12.04 on
a machine the other day without any sighted help so it definitely can
be done. However, as for giving you instructions it would help to know
what distribution and version you are using. Installation can very
from Linux distribution to distribution. Although, since I personally
use Ubuntu 12.04 right now here is a quick idea of the process from a
Ubuntu user's point of view.

1. Download and burn the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS iso to cd using Img Burn,
Nero, or your favorite image burning software.
2. Insert the Ubuntu cd in your rom drive, and reboot. If your
computer is setup to boot from cd you will hear your drive spin up and
the Ubuntu installation will load.
3. After about two minutes or so you will hear the cd drive spin down
as it comes to the installation prompt. Press control+s and Orca
should come up talking.
4. Select the language you wish to use and press enter on the Install button.
5. You will be prompted to install commercial applications and drivers
if you want them. If you want commercial drivers and apps check the
checkbox and continue the install by pressing enter on the Forward
button.
6. The drive will spin for a bit as it prepares the install.
7. It will now prompt you to either Erase Windows and Install Linux,
Install Linux in Free Space, etc. Select the option that best suits
your situation and press enter on Forward.
8. I believe it next prompts you for your full name, admin user name,
and a password. Enter the information and press enter on Forward.
9. The install will proceed to install Ubuntu on your system. When it
finishes it will ask you to press enter to shutdown and reboot.
10. It will eject your cd, take it out of the drive tray, and press
enter to reboot.

If all whent well voila you now have a fully installed and working
Linux distribution. When the login screen appears simply press
control+s and Orca will come up and speak the login screen so you can
enter your password, change desktops, keyboard layout, etc.

HTH