Re: [orca-list] Which distribution to switch to from Windows? [was "Re: A real message with a question"]

For someone switching from Windows, especially if Windows is what they have known and used for a long time, I can't make a better recommendation than either Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS or Sonar. Sonar classic will probably give an experience that is closest to XP, but the gnome-shell version showcases the latest features of the newer GNOME interface. However, every Linux distribution is fundamentally different from Windows, so will take some learning either way. The nice thing about this is that the newest versions of Windows also have quite a learning curve if you're used to XP, and Windows 8 has a rather steep learning curve if you've been using 7, so there's never been a better time to take the plunge.

I currently use the latest gnome-shell on Arch, and it has all the latest accessibility fixes, so works extremely well. However, because of the command line knowledge needed to install Arch, I don't usually recommend it as the first distro to try after having used Windows for a long time. It's my choice for power users and for those who like to package software without all kinds of hassle, but it does take some initial effort to get started, so requires a certain comfort level with the internals of the OS.

On a side note, I had heard that Cinnamon has no accessibility with Orca at all. Is this information incorrect? For those who are using it, what needs to be done to get it working with Orca? I have been hesitant to recommend Mint to visually impaired users exactly because I thought Cinnamon was unusable with Orca and other assistive technologies. It would be great if the information I have is in error.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/