[orca-list] Pleasantly surprised by the accessibility of Rockbox Utility

Now that I have qt-at-spi installed and working, I thought I would do some rather extensive testing of the Rockbox Utility, which installs Rockbox firmware on mp3 players, and also installs voice data to make some mp3 players talk.

A rather important note: the Rockbox Utility binary distribution at
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/RockboxUtility
is presented by Orca as "inaccessible," probably because it wasn't built using QT 4.8, which appears to be the first version that supports qt-at-spi accessibility. Having said this, I was able to build the application from the source tree, and it works quite well. I was able to successfully install the .talk files for the files and folders on my mp3 player with only a few issues, most of which are described in the Rockbox Utility wiki page at
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/RockboxUtility#Known_accessibility_issues
The only issue I had that was not addressed by the wiki was a problem reading characters in a text box. Tabbing to the text box read the entire text in the box, but arrowing left/right was not speaking. On the other hand, I was quite pleasantly surprised by just how well it is working, even though the Rockbox devs likely hadn't yet considered accessibility specifically on Linux, because up until qt-atspi and at-spi2 over DBus, QT accessibility on Linux was a big fat zero. <smile> The best surprise for me was my ability to tab through the progress window as the .talk files were being created so that I was able to read any errors that occurred and also to know that the talk file generation was completed.

I just thought I'd share my experiences with one specific application I will likely be using now that I have at least some access to QT applications. In the middle of all the bug reports and things that still need to be worked out, especially for QT, as Linux+QT+Orca accessibility is quite new, I thought it would be a good idea to share the encouraging results I have had so far, and to take this oppertunity to say thank you to all the wonderful people who are working hard to make it all possible.
~Kyle