Re: [orca-list] OT--getting and installing Gnome Shell extensions?

Dave Hunt <ka1cey gmail com> wrote:

I'm interested in getting the extension, Alternative Status Menu,
which replaces the default status menu with one where 'suspend' and
'power off' are separate items.  Do I really have to clone an entire
git repo, just to get one extension?  In general, how do I install
these extensions?

Check your distribution - it may provide them in packaged form.

In Debian we have the gnome-shell-extensions package. After installing, you
would have to enable the extension you want in Gnome; a Web search should
provide you with details of how to do that.

I don't know how accessible the extensions would be with Orca. They use
Gnome-shell components for their user interfaces, which will help, but the
usual issues arise regarding whether extension authors have to provide
keyboard operability and supply labels and other details required by the
accessibility API.