Re: [orca-list] orca interface or at-spi interface

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 18:39:21 +0200, MichaÅ Zegan wrote:

In windows, (...)
You can connect to the synthesizers like sapi and use that to announce
something, or you connect to the screen reader and do it.
Can linux do that?
I don't mean the synthesizer part, but the screenreader one.

In old good days Orca has HTTP interface. Now it's gone.
I think it's good idea to have possibility to push message directly to Orca - personally I like this idea, because I could have some extra functions built in my applications. Example: read word context in audiobook creator... Of course I could do it talking directly to speech-dispatcher or even using built-in synthesizer. But it's not a good way. Built-in synthesizer will talk with voice used for creating book, which is not the same as used in screenreader and may be inaccessible (for example Ivona server may be down during edition). Speech-dispatcher would start unconfigured and say something strange for sighted user which absolutely does not need it...

For me there should be very simple interface based on unix socket even with only simple command like 'say string'. But it's my (application writer) point of view.

ethanak
--
http://milena.polip.com/ - Pa pa, Ivonko!