Re: [orca-list] planning to buy a new laptop

Thanks a lot for all these tips!

On 6/14/2012 7:57 PM, Thomas Ward wrote:
Hi Dominique,

Most modern laptops come with 3d graphics cards because Windows Vista
and Windows 7 require them, and generally speaking you shouldn't have
anything to worry about as long as you don't buy one that requires
proprietary Windows drivers. Two brands I've had good success with are
Toshiba and Del  who generally attempt to pick hardware that works
equally well with Linux and Windows operating systems. So that might
be a good place to start.

For example, I just purchased a new Toshiba laptop in October. I can't
remember the model off the top of my head, but I got it home set
Windows 7 up, repartitioned the drive, and installed Ubuntu 11.10 on
it without any issues. Ubuntu found my ATI video card, Realtech sound
card, wi-fi, etc right away and ran as though that machine was built
for Linux which it probably was considering Toshiba is good about
using Linux compatible hardware.

Cheers!