Re: [orca-list] Gnome 3.4 and Desktop Sounds

On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 11:59:00PM EST, Thomas Ward wrote:
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone here could answer a quick question for me.
Back in Gnome 2.x I use to be able to assign sound effects  to various
actions like button click, login, logout, error message, question, etc
just like you can in Microsoft Windows. However, since switching to
Gnome 3.x I have not been able to find where to assign desktop sounds
to system actions.

In short, the infrastructure to do this is still there, but the UI isn't. GNOME follows the FreeDesktop sound
theme specification to implement sound events, and libcanberra does the heavy lifting, with extensions for
GTK etc.

To get the sound effects you want, you need to build a sound theme pack according to the spec, and place the
theme pack in /usr/share/sounds. You then have to tweak a gsettings key (which one I don't currently
remember) to set the sound theme to the one you want.

I don't have time to dig for links, but google for freedesktop sound theme specification, and you should be
on your way to creating a theme to suit your needs.

Luke