Re: [orca-list] FW: what distro for orca?

Yes, Vinux is a wonderful choice. May wish to wait till 4.0 comes out for sure though.

Alex M

On 6/1/2012 8:30 PM, Peter Torpey wrote:
You should definitely take a look at the various releases of Vinux.  This
distro was specifically made to be installed and run by visually impaired
users and comes ready to use with Orca, a magnifier, and braille support.

There are versions that can be installed as a virtual machine inside
Windows, versions that can be loaded and run from a thumb drive, versions
that can be installed on a separate partition, 32 and 64-bit versions, etc.

Vinux is based on Ubuntu but adds programs, modifications, and help
documentation to make it very accessible by the visually impaired.

--Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Alex Midence
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2012 9:24 PM
To: Al Sten-Clanton
Cc: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] what distro for orca?

Yes and no.  Yes, it's there as a module as is the case with any kernel
after 2.6.37.  This has been the case since 11.04 Natty NarWhall.
However, it doesn't come with anything to make it talk like Espeakup or
Speechd-up.  You ahve to install that.  And, if you do, it's a royal
pain to get speech in the console.  You have to do it when Orca isn't
running and, preferably before launching your x session.  Once x is
running no matter what the desktop and Orca is fired up, you can forget
about speech in the console.  This is the case for any system with Pulse
in user mode.

Alex M