Re: [orca-list] First time trying linux

Hello, Nickus.

I used Linux Mint for the better part of 2011, but I moved away from it as I find(personally) that accessibility is not quite a priority for them. If I am wrong about this, someone please correct me and please forgive me for my ignorance. While I was using screen magnification primarily, Linux Mint was great, but the Orca screen reader is not installed by default (at least on the CD edition). I am beginning to use Orca more and more because it seems like my usable vision is beginning to fade.

One of the main reasons why many people are leaving Ubuntu for Linux Mint is due to the whole desktop environment issue. Canonical Ltd., the sponsor of Ubuntu, has begun to ship a new desktop environment with Ubuntu called Unity. Personally, I like Unity and I think it is great. I am more so a fan of the GNOME desktop environment, though.

I personally am using Ubuntu on my system. I was able to boot a live USB system and install Ubuntu onto my system, partitioning the hard drive and all other installation steps, using the Orca screen reader. It was very nice to not have to rely on my vision so much!

Another Linux distribution which others here on the list would recommend is Vinux [1], a Ubuntu-based Linux distribution which is made for blind users. I have never used it personally, but I intend to give it a try on my laptop someday in the near future to see what it is like.

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

[1] Vinux: http://vinuxproject.org/